Saturday, October 18, 2008

Core

I have this theory that when it comes right down to the core of it, people are either inherently good, or they're just bad seeds.

I also like to believe that everyone's born basically good for that first split-second of life - and whatever turns a person bad goes down to the nature versus nurture question but let's not get too tangled in that nasty, endless web.

So I classify people I meet as core-good and core-bad. Granted, it's a simplistic theory, but it's helped me make some very delicate decisions in my tender 23 years of life.

And it makes me think about the word core: as a root, a beginning, and origin. Where'd it come from? Is it like ore? Core? Mineral ores and emotive cores?? Hah! My sister brings up this question: Why is 'Or' in French 'Gold' while 'Ore' in English means 'Raw Material'? Maybe their root in another language (Latin?) lies in a word that means 'Pure' or 'Essence'...

Or...ore...original? Origin? Do they all stem from the same root? Ah, the irony, that the word 'original' stems from another word and is not so original after all!

So, yes, people...(is it too late to salvage this post as a coherent, well-thought out passage?)...people...I'm disappointed...I see far too much of the 'core-bad' types and I'm starting to think it just has to be a flaw in my theory...or maybe it's my flawed sense of perception?

Whatever it is, I have to have hope that there's more good out there than bad. And I want to seek it out, and I want to surround myself in it...and be a part of it, not apart from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment