Monday, April 20, 2009

Ever the hard-ass…

I’ve been told that I can be very hard on people…and I’d have to admit that it’s true. I might not have seen it at first, but I suppose I am a very principled person; even if I do have a set of principles very distinctly different from most.

I realize, though, that I’m only hard on people that I care about. Brutally honest, maybe, because that’s the only way I know how to make a point or…express the gravity of a situation.

Maybe I think you’re worth taking the time to help you become a better person. Why would I waste all that energy (and risk of alienating myself from society) if I didn’t think there was potential for more in you? Do I expect too much of people? Sometimes I wish people would do the same for me, only every else seems too afraid.

So many people have said the words “I love you just the way you are”. Bullshit. Everyone can be a better version of themselves. Everyone.

I prefer to say “I love you. So you need to hear this now, and I’m not so sorry that it’s going to hurt.”

No comments:

Post a Comment